Attractions & Activities in Las Cruces - Golf & Birdwatching in Las Cruces
Attractions and Activities in Las Cruces
From Historic to Hip in Las CrucesThere are plenty of things to do in Las Cruces. Some Las Cruces, New Mexico attractions and activities include visiting architectural wonders, taking hikes, visiting museums, watching auto racing, ballooning, cycling and bird watching.
Friday night in town? The Southern New Mexico Speedway Park offers USRA Modifieds, CDM Late Models, Street Stocks & Winged Sprints. Located at the Southern NM State Fairgrounds. Racing is from March - November.
Birders, take note: Southern New Mexico is on the flyway for hundreds of species of migratory birds. Grab your binoculars and head out for the Mesilla Valley Bosque, just south of Las Cruces.
Sand, snow, sled! Rent a sled at White Sands National Monument and slide down the pure white dunes. In winter, head to Ruidoso for some excellent sledding.
Stroll back in history in La Mesilla, an important stop on the old Butterfield Stage line, the site of the signing of the Gadsden Purchase and also where Billy the Kid was tried and sentenced to death. Several buildings, the old church of San Albino and the plaza itself remain very close to how they appeared in the 1800s. Mesilla offers interesting museums, wonderful art galleries, boutique shopping, walking tours, restaurants and entertainment.
- During the summer, the Plaza hosts concerts and farmers’ markets. It is the cultural and historic heart of the area. Check local listings.
- Hike the dozens of well-maintained trails near Las Cruces. Three mountain ranges — the Organ, Robledo and Dona Ana — are nearby and the Rio Grande Valley provide miles of trails and plenty of wildlife viewing.
- Rio Grande Theatre performances inlcude music, dance, plays and musicals. Not only is this theater a historic treasure, but it is also a community partner of Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces. www.riograndetheatre.com
- Las Cruces Community Theatre is for the community and by the community. We invite all interested people to join & enjoy quality live theatre. www.LCctnm.org
- Las Cruces Museum of Natural History is dedicated to broadening people's understanding of natural history, science and the environment of New Mexico and the Chihuahuan Desert. Phone: (505) 522-3120 www.las-cruces.org
- Railroad Museum exhibits model trains as well as Railroad memorabilia from the station's interesting past. Phone: (505) 647-4480 www.las-cruces.org
- White Sands Missile Range Museum & Missile Park displays over 50 rockets and missiles once tested on the famed missile range. Phone: (505) 678-8824 www.wsmr-history.org
- University Golf Course is an 18-hole championship golf course open to the public year round for your golfing enjoyment. Phone: (575) 646-3219 www.nmsu.edu
See other Las Cruces and New Mexico golf courses here.