New Mexico Performing Arts & Art in New Mexico
Performing Arts in New Mexico
Not all Art is FramedWhile some New Mexico art can be found hanging on the walls of museums and galleries, other works — of music, dance, theater, film, and spoken word poetry — must be experienced in a live setting. The performing arts in New Mexico are both steeped in ancient traditions and bursting with the energy and innovation of contemporary expression. Here you can experience Native American dance and traditional, Spanish Flamenco one day, and ballet and opera the next. You can settle in for an evening at a Broadway revival, spend a day watching local filmmakers showcase their projects, or catch a live poetry slam at a neighborhood bar.
From world-class venues like the Santa Fe Opera, Lensic Performing Arts Center, and Popejoy Hall, to smaller, more intimate settings, performing arts are integral to New Mexican culture. So take an evening off and book a seat at a show. Dance, theater, music, it doesn’t much matter. And if you happen to be in town for one of the great performing arts festivals the state hosts each year, be sure to snatch up a ticket.
Not sure where to start? Here’s ten great places to begin planning your best evening ever:
- The Arts Alliance, www.abqarts.org
- Santa Fe Opera, www.santafeopera.org
- Popejoy Hall, popejoypresents.com
- ABQ Poetry Slams, www.abqslams.org
- Keshet Dance Company, www.keshetdance.org
- Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, indianpueblo.org
- Film Festivals in New Mexico, www.nmfilm.com/Film_Festivals
- New Mexico’s live music venues, nmlivemusicvenues.blogspot.com
- National Institute of Flamenco, www.nationalinstituteofflamenco.org
- The Lensic Performing Arts Center, www.lensic.org/