NM Adventures: Horseback Riding in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Taos
Other Adventures in New Mexico's Outdoors
The opportunities never stopAdventure is everywhere you turn in the Land of Enchantment. From horseback riding and white water rafting, to fishing, hunting and even geocaching, there is more to do outdoors in New Mexico than you can shake a marshmallow roasting stick at.
Horseback RidingThere’s no better way to take in the dramatic high desert scenery of New Mexico than from the back of a horse. From a lazy tour down the Rio Grand to a backcountry adventure in the high country wilderness, you’ll find the perfect New Mexico horseback adventure to suit your style and skill level.
RaftingNew Mexico has several rivers prime for whitewater adventure. The mighty Rio Grande is a classic whitewater river offering plenty of options for canoeing, kayaking, white water rafting and relaxing, scenic floats. And the exquisite Chama, one of America’s most beautiful Wild and Scenic Rivers, is ideal for a relaxing float when you just need to get away from it all. For guided tour options from Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Taos, please click on one of the options below:
Albuquerque Local Treasures partners.
FishingNew Mexico is home to some world-class trout fishing, and plenty of excellent lake fishing for species ranging from pike and tiger muskie to bass and walleye. While the “Quality Waters” along the San Juan River in northern New Mexico offer some of the best trout fishing in the word, rivers all over New Mexico hold plenty fish and plenty of challenges for avid anglers. New Mexico lakes and reservoirs are also prime sites for sport fishing, and the high country lakes dotted throughout the mountains offer excellent angling opportunities along with unsurpassed scenery and quiet solitude.
New Mexico sport fishing information
- Fly Fishing New Mexico, thereellife.com/, highdesertangler.com/NM-Fly-Fishing.html, flyfishnewmexico.com/
- San Juan River information, fourcornersgeotourism.com/content/san-juan-river-quality-waters/fcaD5AAEF87C4E1527C8
- Lake Fishing in New Mexico, wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/fishing/
- Land of Enchantment Guides, loeflyfishing.com/
Fun Family day fishing trips
HuntingNew Mexico is a big game hunter’s paradise. You can hunt elk, deer, antelope, oryx, ibex, Barbary sheep and more. The elk hunting in the state is legendary, and the mild weather and abundant wilderness make hunting excursions in the state a truly exceptional experience. To get a license to hunt certain game in New Mexico, you must not only apply but also be drawn through the lottery system that awards licenses. For more information or to book a guided hunt, see the links below.
- New Mexico Department of Game and Fish, wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/
- Valles Caldera National Preserve, vallescaldera.gov
- New Mexico Council of Outfitters and Guides, nmoutfitters.com
- Brazoz River Ranch, nmoutfitter.com
- Beaverhead Outfitters, beaverheadoutfitters.com
- H&A Outfitters, Inc. — New Mexico Big Game Hunting, nmbiggamehunting.com
- Elite Outfitters, eliteoutfitters.com
New Mexico Hot SpringsNew Mexico is blessed with some of the best hot springs in the world. From hidden springs tucked away deep in the heart of the wilderness to luxurious spas offering every possible amenity, there’s a New Mexico hot spring to suit every taste and level of adventurousness.
New Mexico has 77 hot springs scattered across the state. Click here [hotspringsenthusiast.com/newmexico.asp] for a comprehensive listing of springs in order of temperature. If you’re looking for springs in your area, see below: